Thursday, April 16, 2009

Camping at Petit Jean Mountain

"If it wasn't for Zachary...." that is what most of my sentences begin with. But, this particular sentence ends with, "you guys would never know what was going on in our lives."

Zach and I went camping with our very good friends, the Powells. Justin and Claire are friends of ours from church. I went to high school with Justin, but didn't know him very well. His wife Claire is the sweetest thing. She is from Mississippi and she sounds like it too. Her name has two syllables according to her. 'Clay-air.' :D LOVE HER! Anyway, some pictures from our camping adventure:

Zach and I were up before 7am and I think Justin and Claire slept until 9. :) We enjoyed some alone time. It was sooooo beautiful!


Stick biscuits of course. Zach likes his with little smokies inside and I like butter and strawberry jam. mmm :P


Ah, yes. The glory of campfire cooking. We had hot dogs for dinner and then, for breakfast I made scrambled eggs, stick biscuits, little smokies, and coffee. That's better than when we're at home and I make cold cereal for breakfast.


We were camping at Petit Jean mountain, so the next day we went hiking! It was really breath-taking. A little bit for the scenery and a little for the hiking. The view from the top of the trail.


The only picture I got all weekend of all 4 of us. Not a great picture, but that's the whole gang.


I love this mess. I'd like to plop a house on the side of this creek. Too bad you'd have to hike in with your groceries. No easy unload from the car.


Aren't they cute and sweet? We are so glad to have some good friends here.


This is Zach's happy face. You want to know how I can tell? He has a fish in his hand. That's how.


This was at the end of our hiking trail. Cool, huh? Claire and I sat on a rock in the middle of the river and chatted and just listened to he waterfall while Zach and Justin finished fishing. It was very relaxing.


There were A LOT of people there that day, so I had to crop little heads out as much as I could without making the waterfall look squatty.
Good trip. Pretty things to see, some good exercise for our bodies, good friends. God is good.

4 comments:

Brad said...

the indian couple in the background of the picture of all 4 of you guys definitely stole your thunder.

Deborah said...

I'm so glad you guys have good friends. They are so hard to come by.

Zach looks so much like his dad in that "happy face" picture.

Mama Haugh said...

How beautiful! It is good to enjoy Arkansas in the spring. I love spring there. Can you believe in all the years that I lived in Arkansas, I never went to Petite Jean? So good to see pics of you guys. I love you both so very much! Why does camp food always taste sooo good? Is it that you're just hungrier, or is it that little bit of black soot on everything? Thanks for sharing with us.

Aunt Donna said...

Love the pictures and your journal about your trip. Looks like fun! Thanks for letting us share in your weekend. :)