Wednesday, April 15, 2009

BOWFISHING!

Over the past year or so I've really been interested in bowfishing but I haven't had much of a chance or much knowledge to really get out there and do some damage. Well the best way to learn is to get out there and try so I have been. I've went a couple times since I've been in Arkansas with no luck. But this time was different....


These are the four fish my friend John Madill and I shot. He shot the alligator gar and the smaller of the other three. I shot the two big ones. We don't really know what kind of fish they are but we think may be bonefish.


More pics. Anyone have any ideas what they are?


I didn't get to weigh them but they were definitely bigger than anything I've ever shot before.


This was a very funny story.

We were in the canoe and one person would paddle while the other stood up and looked for fish. Well standing up in a moving canoe is really hard and it gets even harder when you are excited about a fish, as Madill was. He was the gar and shot at the same time he almost tipped our canoe and fell into the canoe. We laughed about that and he said he had missed to the right and started collecting himself and bringing in the line. When he got it in he pulled the arrow up and to our surprise there was the gar on the end. We started laughing even harder. He had hit it through the head so we assumed it was dead and the threw it in the boat. It wasn't. It went crazy and we both started trying to pin the fish down with our feet. After we gained control and stopped laughing from that we looked and Madill had dropped his bow in the water during the escapade. I lost it at that point and couldn't see I was laughing so hard and the tears were rolling and he pulled his bow in with the line that was still attached to the fish. So he caught a bow with his fish, fishbowing. When he pulled it up I had to snap this picture and relax from laughing so hard.

All in all it was one of the most fun and most memorable times I've had on the water. I'm pumped to get back out there and try again! Dad, you have to get down here and try this!!!

4 comments:

Megan said...

That is hilarious! Looks like so much fun!

Mom said...

I don't know what kind of fish they are. We use to catch drum on the river,but they are lighter in color and broader. Don't know what a bonefish is,but drum have a lot of bones in them. Key question...were they legal?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like lots of fun! A jon-boat would be a better choice than a canoe but....what ever works! Let's see some pics of those 4'-5' gar!
Glad yer having some great fun/memories and I'm jealous that I can't be there plunkin' the magic thwacker with ya!
Keep up the GREAT work son...I'M PROUD OF YOU!!!!
LOVE YOU!!!!
ole dad

Lynn said...

That is a FISH story if I ever heard one!!! I have to let my fishing husband read this one, sounds like lots of fun.
I work at Barackville School and I came across it while checking Megans and Tiffanys Blogs.. Thanks for the laugh!!!