Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Love Letters

Zach and I were concerned about losing a little bit of our connection because of the time we will be spending apart. We are so used to being with eachother constantly and we talk about EVERYTHING...probably too much talking sometimes. :) He also does not get cell phone service out at Pressley Ridge. Needless to say, much less talking than we are used to. So....to counter our lack of communication we are writing love letters. A couple weeks ago on Oprah there was a married couple that had been writing eachother love letters everyday since they were married. I took their idea and ran with it. We each have a notebook in which we write our letters to eachother while apart. There are 3 things that we address in our daily letters to eachother. 1. "I love you today because..." This statement is followed with a thing we appreciate about the other person. Whether it is the sacrifice he is making by being away to help support our family, for doing the dishes, or for his cute smile etc... 2. "God taught me today..." to be patient with Steve, to love a neighbor etc... 3. "I need to tell you what happened today.." This is basically anything I want to remember to tell him when he gets home. I've only written 3 letters so far because he has only been gone for 3 days, but already I can tell that I appreciate Zach more for specific reasons, not jsut generally speaking and it helps me look for what God is trying to teach me because I am aware that He's doing that in my life and I'm remembering what I've learned because I'm writing about it. It's a neat experience so far and I can't wait until he gets home tomorrow evening so we can share our letters. I miss my friend.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this post, Cassandra. As for talking too much -- I don't think that's possible. You two just keep it up. And I love the open ended sentences that you complete in these letters. They require thought and thoughtfulness (those are two different things, really!) and thankfulness. Never forget to be thankful for each other. That one thing will get you through anything!

Tiffany Rose said...

I remember watching that episode on Oprah and I went out and got Me and James new notebooks just we could do it too. We're gonna start when he gets back in April! He doesn't know it yet though.. ha ha Now that I think about it I might mail it to him for Vday! I'm glad you guys are doing this too!

Anonymous said...

I just read your comment on Deborah's latest post and it's hard to believe you two have never met (or Elizabeth or Jonathan either for that matter!). We've got to get you all together sometime. You all would LOVE hanging out together. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! You two are a very special couple. Keep that communication going - I know what you mean - I'm used to having Peter to talk to everyday about everything. I miss my friend too!

Deborah said...

This is such a great idea! Thank you for sharing and for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog. I would love to meet you too, along with James and "the other Zach". SO much catching up to do with the Haugh family!!

Megan said...

That is such a good idea! Not only for times when one is away, but to continue throughout a relationship. I am definately gonna take this one and run with it! We love you and you both are doing so great! This won't last forever, but I understand that you miss your friend....I would too=). Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I know it will open your eyes to many things about each other. Love that you are willing to put forth the effort to do this. I love you two very much.