Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mary and Martha


Zach and I were reading the story of Mary and Martha last night and with most Bible stories, when we were finished reading it we both said. I just wish I had a heart like that. Zach and I have decided to read the Message translation and it gives such life to Jesus that I've never picked up on before. When Martha comes in to Jesus after she has been slaving in the kitchen and says aren't you going to do something about Mary abandoning the kitchen to me? Jesus flat out says Martha, stop fussing and worrying and getting worked up. this is how the message says it..."Mary has chosen the main course and it will not be taken from her." I get so fussy when serving people. Instead of just doing it and feeling good about it. I worry about whether dinner will be ready on time or if all the dinnerware matches and where everyone will sit...instead of taking my time and enjoying the company and taking joy in having another opportunity to share laughter and my heart and giving my friends the chance to feel good about serving by helping with what should be done for dinner. I just wanted to share this because it's been on my heart and I'm working on it. :) We love you all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently I taught a Ladies Wednesday night Bible Class for a quarter and used as my springboard the book by Joanna Weaver "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." It was a great book and made me think of things I hadn't thought of before. I think you would enjoy it too.

Anonymous said...

I think that this is something all us "Southern" gals struggle with. I know I do. We want to show our hospitality and make everyone happy and feel at home, and honestly, we want to look good too and "represent". I'm sure deep down it's a struggle with vanity for me. I have to live up to what is expected. I once told my sister Donna (Zach's Aunt Donna) that I didn't want to have company as much because my house was messy or not as finished as I would like. She flat-out told me..."Well,that's not right Kathy."
She was right. I had to repent. (I hate it when your older sister is right.):) Thanks for reminding me of a lesson I needed to revisit Cassandra. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Guess its time to remodel the #2 bathroom and dinning room!
I love you guys!!! You make me think and grow....I thank God daily for for His blessing of sending you for Zach and he for you!
Keep Kait in yer prayers the next couple of weeks.

Tiffany Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany Rose said...

Great post! I admire how you and Zach seem to continue to grow closer to each other through growing closer to Christ! I guess that IS the best way to do it ;) Love you both

Hannah Clark said...

Hey Cass!! It was great to talk to you the other night at the basketball games! We need to do the movie and take-out soon!! I love you♥